All,
Here is the post about the refund model again, after I accidentally rebooted the PC before posting the other time.
Ok. The Phasure NOS1 needs a burn in time of 3 days; That is, at this third day you will say "great !". And then you think that's it because the next 10 days or so nothing happens. However, after two weeks from the start there will be that day that you think something has changed in the system for the better. The day after that it will happen again. And this continues well into 20 days. This is with the system always on, and listening a couple of hours per day.
It is this why I feel it is necessary to have a money back guarantee period of 90 days.
Edit : For the USB version this works out a little differently, and as it seems so far, some 14 days are needed to achieve Yahoo! performance. Not sure yet what happens after that, but the day by day improvement seems to happen here too.
Actually no questions will be asked about *why* you sent it back, which in the end gives you the opportunity to just try, without even the sense of ever buying. But, you'll have to normally pay first to get there. Are you a reviewer ? same story.
The case has been made so that you won't scratch it with your wife's finger nails. Actually it will be hard to scratch it. Of course you can damage things, like the touch display. But I guess by that time we'll have found a good solution - if that happens at all. We are not here to "create" problems, nor do we want to see them in advance.
It is rather common to charge restocking costs, and that will happen here too. However, although those costs are actually needed (check all, re-measure, possibly "repair" as such, repack, administration), we feel this is part of the job, and rather use that "restocking costs" for the benefit of yourself. How ?
Well, first of all it is obvious that a returned unit will go out again. Next, we don't want anyone to think it is brand new while it actually is not. So, those buying a restocked unit will know that they will get just that : a restocked unit. When such a unit is available, it will be shown by means of the addition "1st Generation Restock". And, the price will be less by the amount the "restocking" costs. This will be 100 euros. And thus, while a new unit costs 2900 euros (ex VAT if applicable and ex shipping), a first generation restock costs 2800 euros. Nothing should be wrong with it, while whatever was wrong will be replaced with new.
Now, you already guessed what happens next;
A 1st Generation Restock can be sent back as well. Same story, same additional discount for the next buyer of this now 2nd Generation Restock unit. Price now will be 2700 euros.
What it comes down to is that "just trying out for fun" is not free. That is, it's what it comes down to. Not because we like to charge for it by all means (this really is not the case), but because a next buyer should not pay the same. And *now* it will be a bit strange if we had to pay for *that* (while "you" might be just trying for fun without intentions to buy from the beginning). So, I hope this is ok with you all, as it just seems very fair.
Of course we anticipate on that you won't let the DAC go once you heard it, be you a normal audiophile or a reviewer.
Let me also notice that the buyer of a 1st and further generation unit can awaiten a burned in unit (to some more or less extend). So, it may even be an advantage to obtain such a unit (assumed they become available); the 90 days trial period remains.
To be honest and clear, don't think that "trying only" will cost that 100 euros only;
The shipping costs add up too, and while they count for the way to you, they will also count for the way back. At this moment we have the shipping costs like this (including ensurance) for an around 10Kg box :
- 70 euros within the Netherlands;
- 110 euros for outside the Netherlands within Europe;
- 180 euros outside of Europe.
- Even within Europe exceptions exist up to 280 euros (but this is the highest possible and fairly rare).
At this moment these are fair estimations, but depend on the shipper (and his ensurance means) yet to choose.
For the way back you are responsible for the unit to arrive here, which means ensurance again and tracking capabilities.
Also not to forget are the import duties at your side, and the possible hassle to get that back. At this moment I don't know anything about that (different per country of course). Naturally, if something is needed from our side to help with that, we do where we can.
Anyway, I'm just mentioning these things, so you won't be surpised and merely think you went into some pitfall afterall. I would never want that.
Allright. The before time I wrote this I added the question whether people maybe thought this all is a stupid idea about the "Refund Model". That was two week backs though, and by now the time is short. Still I don't want to be the boss on this, especially where I might have overlooked culprits.
So if you see serious problems somewhere, please let it know.
Peter