Hi there Pedal,
Well, I am leaning towards such a thought, but I can't tell at this moment whether this would be the best idea. It could work well, but very much depending on the software in question.
All I know is that I created myself a situation to even do this at the driver level (in real time), but maybe this is not feaseable because of too much overhead. The only thing I want to say is : it is not said at all, that when this third party software is involved all suddenly is optimal, while with normal 2ch we were all so sure XXHighEnd is the best there is for SQ ...
So see ? there's something wrong with your approach, just for stupid theories.
On the other hand, I don't pretend to be able to do everything and all, or do it the best possible way. Also, it largely depends on the inherently there "filters" for this, like they exist on the Mac.
Yeah, well, why not eh ?
For now it is too soon anyway, because - although the NOS1 can be setup for 8 channels, there's still the 8 channel output stage lacking. Not that this needs functional design, but it does need PCB design (and PCB production), because the current one is setup for 2 channels out of the 8x PCM1704; the 8ch version will be out of 16x PCM1704, and although the (then 2x) DAC board is completely ready for it - the interface is completely ready for it (this is even 16 channels input) - the cabinet is made for it ... the setup for the output stage is (thus) not.
But I sure will agree with the more versitality with your proposal, and why not start out with that ?
First the harware though. Could take 2 months if I start with that now (which I don't think I will
).
Peter