Hi Peter, have you tried PureMusic for playback?
I prefer it by a large margin in my system to Amarra and Audirvana.
Well, I really don't know how you manage to prefer *that*. Over Amarra maybe (didn't try that yet), but PM must really be the most confusing, ugly, interfering with everything program ever. Jikes !
Mind you, I am not talking about the SQ at this time, but about how it causes all other programs to be upfront, herself always being through everything because actualyl PM is *always* up front (with a 50% or so opaqueness), that not showing as active in the top bar (usually iTunes is) ... that it's Less is More function usually stops working as soon as there's a fart of something else ... iTunes is playing while PM should or the other way around or both, or that you can't even load tracks on/it/over it unless by means of upsampling and in an area *you* not even will have found (because it anticipates iTunes really). MAN, what a waste of 2 hours of my time. Only to get it a litte.
And no, of course i don't want to let rule iTunes.
Ok ok, that being behind me I could finally proove when PM was playing and not iTunes, and so ...
Forget about it.
The most pure sines come from my most strict impulses. And, since one means of "SRC" (upsampling) is supported only, there wasn't much to try further. On this aspect, I don't see much difference when iTunes is doing the upsampling.
Keep in mind guys : I am not talking about native SQ which may come from it on to any other DAC. It is is just not useable for the NOS1. That's all. And obviously I tried, because it would just be very useful (for me, let's say).
Sorry ...
Peter
PS: Maybe my judgement about all the confusing stuff is not justified at all. But I started out with the "Less is More" functionality, which I maybe shouldn't have done. That gets it in a mode which is uncontrollable, and doesn't really work either (really, apply one change anywhere, and it needs a restart, *that* needing to set the Less is More setting again, and ... well, it is a sort of loop). Additionally, it acts inconsistently strange at the sample rate settings. This may go unnoticed to you. For example, if a track is set to repeat (which must be done in iTunes) at the next iteration it may come up with another sample rate as with the first play of the track; this will be related to "use the highest sample rate for your DAC" setting, but which still allows me to change that to lower in AudioMidi and which really plays like that. Until the next iteration (or next track, which I did not try), then it switches to the higher sample rate. Dangerous stuff.